Read Hard

Friday, March 6, 2009

Book Meet Wall


*** Okay--just warning this is a rant--a small one--but one nonetheless. ***

My agent once did a rant about bodily functions here: http://pubrants.blogspot.com/search?q=bodily

At the time I thought she was just being sensitive, and maybe I'm now being sensitive too--but there is something about reading certain words that makes them much more visual than when they are spoken. Snot is one of them.

Awhile back I was reading a romance and on several occasions while the MC was crying, the hero would pull out his handkerchief and instruct her to "blow"--Talk about ruining a sweet moment as well as making the MC seem about five years old.

So just for the official record: If I see snot mentioned in any book when it is not meant to be 2nd grade humor--I'm chucking it across the room.

What words or phrases or bodily functions have you read that really grossed you out when they weren't supposed to?


drawing: www.tomfroese.com

2 comments:

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

Eww-that would totally annoy me if I read that. This is weird, and it doesn't come up a lot(except in children's picture books for some odd reason) but I hate bellybuttons. I can't stand to think about them or look at them, so if someone mentions a bellybutton I freak out. Not a bodily function, but it really annoys me. I also really hate if sweat is talked about extensively-ewww!

Anonymous said...

What words or phrases or bodily functions have you read that really grossed you out when they weren't supposed to?

"You are my brand of heroine"

not only utterly cheesy but it made me think of Edward smoking her arm or something.

come to think of it whole book was filled with cheesey ass lines.

i wish i knew what book u were talking about. I kinda want to read it now.

PS. When are u going to write another book? Are you working on another book?

Let us know, Brooke, read your book when it came out been coming to your blog in hopes of another book being procreated but we got nada.

#1 Fan